Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Draft 2024 - 4/25 to 4/27

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Kirk Cousins will be very surprised to read in his morning newspaper that the Falcons drafted a backup QB with the 8th overall pick!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a lot of surprises outside of Penix to the Falcons and maybe Ricky Pearsall going R1 (but he definitely fits the WR type that San Francisco likes. I was more lukewarm on him overall). Figured that I'd go to bed just after 10:30 after taking Sudafed and wake up to find that's when all the trades happened.

Interesting to note both CBs fell to the early 20s, much later than people were mocking them. I thought Jordan Morgan could sneak into the 1st Round since there were a lot of good OL and teams simply need tackles. Graham Barton going R1 was a bit of a surprise but he was a very highly rated OG/C prospect and would've gone early 2nd Round anyway. Legette is really good and Carolina trading for him gives them a much needed, legitimate weapon on the outside.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still don’t know what the eff the Falcons were thinking. Unless they end up with or near a Soup, this might go down as one of the worst off seasons ever. Overpay old ass Kirk Cousins, turn down the GOAT coach then use a top 10 pick to draft Cousins’ replacement.

Outside of maybe signing Cousins (and that could easily turn into a Matt Ryan on the Colts situation), none of it makes any damn sense.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Their logic was literally “With our new pretty good QB we are going to be so good we won’t get another good QB for awhile so we got one here”

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If their pick was in the 20s or even the high teens, I’d get it but not at #8! They just created a completely unnecessary quarterback controversy. He wasn’t even the best QB on the board!

Michael Penix Jr seems like a nice fellow and I hope I’m wrong and Atlanta has a harmonious and wildly successful QB room for the next 15-20 years but boy, it seems like an awful idea on paper.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I don’t think is crazy at all. Kirk Cousins is 35, having a prospect carry the clipboard for two to three years gives you lots of trade options depending on how Kirk ages. Whether he ends up being good is another matter.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. Certainly not telling Kirk Cousins about the plan is potentially hugely self sabotaging.

And I just read that Broncos, Raiders, and Seahawks were all trying to trade into the top 10 for Penix so maybe #8 wasn’t that much of a reach.

Ykw is second or third biggest surprise (Pearsall getting picked in 1st round is REALLY confusing. Even if he is Niners type, they probably could have gotten him in the second and maybe even the third) of last night is? That neither if the New York teams did anything really stupid.

That comment might age like milk if Daniel Jones is ass again or Aaron Rodgers comes back washed though.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. Certainly not telling Kirk Cousins about the plan is potentially hugely self sabotaging.

And I just read that Broncos, Raiders, and Seahawks were all trying to trade into the top 10 for Penix so maybe #8 wasn’t that much of a reach.

Ykw is second or third biggest surprise (Pearsall getting picked in 1st round is REALLY confusing. Even if he is Niners type, they probably could have gotten him in the second and maybe even the third) of last night is? That neither if the New York teams did anything really stupid.

That comment might age like milk if Daniel Jones is ass again or Aaron Rodgers comes back washed though.

If Rodgers is good, he'll be the comeback player of the year (for 3 seasons ago)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of defensive value peppered throughout the 2nd Round (20 defensive players taken). Several guys probably would've been late 1st/early 2nd Rounders if not for the offensive run in Round 1 IMO: T'Vondre Sweat (surprised he get taken so high given his recent arrest but Titans gonna Titans), Eagles stole Cooper DeJean who should've been a Round 1 pick, Max Melton's gonna be a good Rutgers DB pipeline player IMO, Maason Smith & Kris Jenkins & Chris Braswell would've gone higher in another year. NFL evaluators love Ennis Rakestraw more than the media, glad to see Detroit take him in Round 2.

I just don't see it with Ladd McConkey, Pearsall, and Luke McCaffrey and they all went R2 and R3. I think whomever gets Ainias Smith today could get a steal due to his injury.

RBs continue to represent great value, both a blessing and a curse for the position. My RB5 went Round 2 while Benson (Arizona), Lloyd (Green Bay), and Corum (Rams) all went in the 3rd Round inside the top 85 picks.

Offensive Line continues to be super deep in this class. 25 offensive linemen taking within the Top 100 picks with big dudes (majority were 315+ pounds) reflecting the evolving at the college football level. This isn't your Daddy's "Zone Blocking" OL with dudes coming in at 280-285 who can pull like a TE. These are big, heavy maulers with some athleticism to match.

Loved DE Bralen Trice coming out, very productive player at a big program. Think Atlanta got a guy who could've been a late Round 1/early Round 2 pick if he'd tested better. Really liked LB Marist Liufau for Dallas too, great replacement for LVE. Plays with a 120% motor which can help him make big plays but also leads to missed tackles and overpursuit. Packers took one of my favorite LBs in Ty'Ron Hooper. Just super solid in the run game, a guy I was hoping the Patriots could get in Round 4 or 5 if he somehow fell.

Steelers getting LB Payton Wilson (such a Steelers LB pick in the mid-rounds tbh) and the Rams getting S Kamren Kinchens were incredible values if both can play up to their 1st round film/ability. Very boom/bust as both players fell for reasons but the upsides are tremendous.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Not a fan of this Pats draft at all. Maye's fine but NE was forced to go QB. Polk's a fine WR but he's another WR2/3 in a room full of them. Took a couple developmental OL including an OG (while already having Strange, Sow, and Mafi). Took a WR whose best attribute is that he can catch contested balls which means he'll struggle to get separation. I liked their CB pick because he plays feisty and makes plays on the ball even when it's caught. Then they take a rocket armed QB who sprays the ball, isn't accurate, and just sucks. I'd rather have just kept Zappe.

Krafts ran Belichick out of town and the entire organization has acted like they have no fucking clue what they are doing. Their best offensive FA was Antonio Gibson? Didn't "throw money around", whiffed on all the WR options, then IMO just completely blew the draft while just addressing needs but not really upgrading the team anywhere IMO.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
QB Chevan Cordeiro signed with Seattle as a UDFA.

Notable Patriots UDFAs I'm keeping an eye on
- C Charles Turner III (6'4" 303 - LSU) is another UDFA Center for a team that's had success in the past taking those guys in. Started last 2 years at Center after coming in as a RT. I was saying this in chat but as a GM, I'd rather experiment with Centers and try them at OG since they are usually the smartest on the team and in charge of making calls/protection.
- LB Jontrey Hunter (6'2" 240 - Georgia State) was very productive for a smaller college. Will battle for a ST role.
- CB Mikey Victor (6'3" 209 - Alabama State). Bigger sized CB who may be tested at S as role. Was around the ball more in 2023 (15 PD) so has a chance at the PS.
- S Dell Puttus (6'0" 205 - Troy) is another productive player who will fight for a ST role. More of a box safety type, limited PDs in his college career.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite drafts...

Detroit: Largely focused on the secondary and OL. Mahogany's a great pick, typical lunchpail BC OL who isn't a great athlete but possesses sound play on the field. Sione Vaki will be a ST demon if nothing else - can play RB/FB/S. Swiss Army Knife type.
Green Bay: Love the Bullard, Lloyd, and Hopper picks as previously noted. Pratt's a solid QB prospect and Kalen King could be a true find, had R1 ability but a poor 2023 knocked him down greatly.
Los Angeles Chargers: Lot of solid picks. Nothing super flashy. Guys like Eboigbe and Cam Hart could be values if they play up to their potential. I <3 Brennen Rice and Harbaugh really loaded up that WR room.
Miami Dolphins: Got defensive value and speed for days at offensive positions as usual. Wouldn't surprise me if they experiment with Patrick Paul inside at OG to maul dudes in more of a downhill power attack.
Philadelphia Eagles: Value all over and killed it. DeJean, Will Shipley, Ainias Smith, Jeremiah Trotter Jr, Johnny Wilson who could shift to TE... c'mon, NFL.
Pittsburgh Steelers: Vintage Steelers style draft. Roman Wilson, Payton Wilson, McCormick, and Logan Lee are all guys that fit the mold of what the Steelers want their players to be.
Tennessee Titans: Lot of quality defensive players. Sweat is a boom/bust but I love the Cedric Gray/Brownlee Jr picks. James Williams and Jaylen Harrell both are late round picks with very high ceilings if they can play consistently enough.